The Art of Writing

“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” ― Toni Morrison

I said it myself and I hear others say it: I write.

Some will now say "Any idiot writes these days!" others might say "Not everyone can write!" and then there are the ones - like myself - who say "Everyone CAN write."

It doesn't matter if you publish it, or where you publish it. I doesn't even matter what you write. It can be a fanfiction, a novel, a short story, a poem, a children story etc. It doesn't matter! If you want to write, if it makes you truly happy, if you feel good while doing it: do it! Keep going!

Is it art? It is in my opinion. Books are art. Like paintings. Like music.
Over centuries the human race created stunning things. Amazing things no one could have thought of at the beginning.
The Colosseum in Rome, the Seven Wonders of the World, La Gioconda, Van Gogh's Sunflowers, L'Opera... etc etc... Think of something beautiful made by human beings and you will see it's art. In every way. So writing is too.

Over the years wonderful people wrote stories that made us cry, laugh, dream, wonder, love and learn. We entered magical worlds, fought dragons, flew away, solved crimes, traveled the world in 80 days... We fell in love with the characters, hated some, even wished we could be like them sometimes. But in the end, we never forgot those stories and they'll live on. They made us happy. They teach us things and inspire us.

These people dreamed. These people created worlds. And so do you. If you write a story, you create art. And it doesn't matter if your name is J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K.Rowling, Stephen King, Cornelia Funke or if it's simply a synonym, a fun word or a characters name from a book/movie/show. It could also be mine: _fandomtrash_.

Also it's not important to me if you publish it at all or where. I myself have lots of stories and snippets of stories on my laptop and in my desk and people will never read them. Then there are the more courageous ones of us who actually post it on AO3, fanfiction.de or Goodreads.com. Plus a minority of writers that actually have a publisher and made it in this line of work. (Yes, I do envy all of you sometimes!) It also doesn't matter if you write it in your mother language or in English, if the grammars on point or not...
Let's face it. The most important thing is, that it makes you happy. That your stories make people happy.


“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” ― Louis L'Amour


I know what you might think right now... "She needs to talk, haven't even published a story yet herself!" I haven't but that's mostly because I'm afraid. I'm afraid about people saying negative things. About people hating what I write and that this might made me quit. Made me quit the one thing I love most - beside reading. And I don't wanna give up on this. On my worlds, my characters and stories. I'm just not ready...

Anyway... This post might seem odd and a lot of empty words at first but I wrote it because I don't want you to quit either. I don't want you to give up on writing. Or worst, not even start it because you are afraid. So write! Do it. Say you do it and probably even share it.
There's no need to study Literature. No need to be perfect in everything. No need to be precise even though you researched for days and weeks. Just do it and enjoy it. Plain and simple.


“The scariest moment is always just before you start.” ― Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft


Now get up, take a pen or your PC, get a cuppa and start typing!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[book-review] C.N. Crawford - City of Thorns (Demon Queen Trials #1)

[book review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - The Rising (Unlawful Men #4)

[bookreview] Jodie Ellen Malpas - This Woman (Jesses POV #1)