[book review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - The Rising (Unlawful Men #4)

 Today's the day! 


14th Feburary 2023 and book 4 of Jodie's Unlawful Men Series is out called The Rising!

Happy Release Day! 


"Next to killing, Beau, worrying about us is what our husbands do best."


As usual here's the summary....


You can't rise from the ashes if you've never been burned.


When notorious mafia boss Danny Black and lethal assassin James Kelly join forces to hunt down a mutual, elusive nemesis that threatens to destroy them both and take control of their city, they know they will be entering a deadly game. A game they must win if they are ever going to live in peace with the women they love away from crime, corruption, and death.


But peace is an illusion, love is a daily torment, and death will always follow them.

As power starts to slip from their grasp, enemies re-emerge, and old, personal demons return to haunt them both, they finally accept they can never leave their world if they want to stay alive. So they need to protect it at all costs. No matter the consequences. No matter the losses. No matter the pain. They must make choices no men should make.

Kill more ruthlessly, love more fiercely, and hate with more rage than ever before.

They're capable. Ready.

But nothing prepares them for the secrets they uncover and the betrayals they face. Or the personal sacrifices they must make to rise again.


Two men.

One goal.

No mercy.

This is The Rising.


Intrigued? I certainly was! Especially after the ending of The Resurrection


"Trust no one. I've made a few exceptions recently, and one of those exceptions is currently sticking me back together. One of those exceptions is now a solid friend and wingman. I trust James with my life, and not many men have that privilege."


Now the story starts exactly where The Resurrection left off. In St Lucia. With Danny getting drunk since Rose is furious that it's not over. Well, who can blame her, really? James is dragging his ass back to his wife and one chaos hunts the next... The beginning made me laugh, cry and I was tense at the various events happening within a few chapters. But what I loved most was the relationship between our two couples, especially between Danny and James. They become not only partners during book 3 but are firm friends and it is clear how far they would go for each other and their girls in book 4. 

Well after some more stress and Danny and James are back in Miami and on the hunt for The Bear and his animals. Soon it is clear the two men will have to stay and can't simply run after this business is finished. Their reputation will always stay with them and prevent them from a normal life.

Meanwhile the girls bond and try to sort their own mess with their men. Even Beau is torn a lot between all the things that's going on and being a former cop. Which will be a problem for James because he doesn't want to lose her, yet if she chose to be a cop again, she can't stay in their family and he and Danny know this. 

One side character really captured my heart even more in this book and it is not one you'd excpect: Brad Black. 
God help me but I love this fucker with all my heart after finishing The Rising. He gets a lot more "screen" time in this and deep down he's not the heartless bastard we all thought he was during book one. He's got his own messed up life to deal with and his emotions and damn I'm all up for it! Gimme more!! 

Also another one that got some brilliant lines and is always there in the background is Doc. Bloody love him! So underrated! 

Our boys are also very troubled this book due to their women which cause them both troubles in their own stubborn way. Especially Beau in this book distracts James so much that he even forgets a man in his trunk ;) 


"So let's get the fuck on with rising and make sure we never fall, because that, my friend, is the closest we're ever getting to normal."

 

As usual I don't want to spoil the story for y'all but god damn if you loved book 3 this is even better! Trust me. I wanted to read it as soon as I got home from work, but I was so tired, I didn't manage, but 3 days later (damn work!) I was finished and I'm still not over it, after a week! 

You're clearly up for a ride with The Rising.

The banter between Danny and James, their stubborn women Rose and Beau, Brad being hilarious, Doc being prepared for everything, the plot, the funny scenes, the drama, the problems.... Oh and lots of death obviously. Animals and an ending I didn't expect. A plot who The Bear is, I didn't fkn expect at all! Yes you hear me right, The Bear is one you'd never think he is! 

Also we have a wonderful ending! But is it a happy ending? The last sentence of this book.... I first thought it was a happy ending, but now, with thinking about it, I'm not so sure anymore (Jodie, what are you doing to me??)  Especially since we're up for a book 5 with Danny and Brad.
Yes you heard right. Book 5 of The Unlawful Men is in progress!!! 

"I see a Union Jack. Handcuffs. A gun. A flame."

All in all I gave a solid 5/5 ★★★★★ for The Rising

It was funny, the tension was killing me, the banter between Danny and James is gold and by god the ending is still on my mind! If you loved the series so far, go and read it because you won't regret it! 


"I'm changing his name from Rambo", Brad says. "Meet Bruce." "Wayne?" I ask, accepting the Glock James hands me and dipping, throwing a brutal punch, knocking out James's latest victim and taking his gun too. "Wayne?", Brad asks. "No, Bruce Lee." He claims the second Glock. "Who the fuck wants to be a rodent?"

  


Here's how you get The Rising:

Download  on Amazon, Apple Books, Barnes & Noble, and Kobo!

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3KiSbRr

Apple Books: https://apple.co/3Icv5df

Nook: https://bit.ly/3fKbk0t

Kobo: https://bit.ly/3YkmcHb

Audible: Coming Soon!


Add to Goodreads: http://bit.ly/3ARXUum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[book-review] C.N. Crawford - City of Thorns (Demon Queen Trials #1)

[bookreview] Jodie Ellen Malpas - This Woman (Jesses POV #1)

[book-review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - With This Woman (Jesse's POV #2)