[bookreview] Ana Huang - Twisted Love (Twisted Series #1)

 

I finally had time to start this wonderful series by Ana Huang and I've been devouring the first two books in a few days (about to start book 3 in the series). 


I heard a lot about it on Booktok and Bookstagram because it's all over social media and first I was wondering what's so special about this, that everybody loves it. Then last winter I brought book one - Twisted Love - soon joined by the rest of the series when I was waiting at Heathrow Airport in January. To my shame I haven't had the time or wanted to read since March but now I finally picked it up - after a good friend of mine read the series in less than a week. 

I have to admit the whole hype about it, the vids, quotes etc are all worth it! I couldn't put it down! 

“She felt like heaven to my hell, the closest I’d ever get to salvation, and yet I still wanted to drag her into the depths of Hades with me.”

The story starts with a young woman Ava Chen - stranded at a bus stop in a storm. She calls her brother Josh (who's got his farewell party that night because he's off studying in Central America) and he sends his best friend to pick her up. A friend Ava knew since years and yet never liked. A young and successful - if most of the time grumpy - business man of one of Americas' biggest companies called Alex Volkov. 

The two hate each other, he hates her happy attitude. Hates her positivity, her love with the world and love itself. He just lives in darkness. Darkness since the ones he loved had been taken from him. Now he's out to seek revenge and that's the only thing in his mind. Until Josh asks him that night to keep an eye on his baby sister while he's gone. 

Somehow he agrees and moves into Josh's house - that's beside Ava's - the next day and you can all imagine the shock she had when Josh told her about the whole thing. But to be honest, her big brother is worried. She has regular nightmares and something happend in her childhood that nearly killed her, so he's very cautious when it comes to her safety. 

After not talking to each other and only saying spiteful things, the both settle into some sort of friendship and agreement after a while. Until one fatal night when he gets weak and kisses her back...

“If you let lesser people determine your self-worth, you'll never reach higher than their limited imagination.”

Like you all know by now, my reviews are mostly spoiler-free so no more of the plot. Let me just say it like this, I absolutely loved it! :) 

The plot - well some parts just shocked me - some where a bit predictable. But despite that, I still enjoyed it a lot. There' will be waiting happiness, giggles, pain and shocking moments for you when you read this so, better be prepared for everything with Ana Huang. That's what I quickly learned when starting her books. 

The spice... Well the spice hit hard but not as hard as I expected after bookstagram. Maybe it also is just me, getting too used to real smutty stuff that I don't seem to be shocked by much anymore. *laughs* 

I loved the character developement of Alex in this! We have a grumpy person who hates everyone in the beginning, but in the end - well he still mostly hates people - but he also learned what love is. Also with Ava. She had to learn what betrayal and lost are the hard way. 

I cried reading this thing, I laughed and I was flushed because of them doing the dirty *laughs* 

So if you love a good romance story with spice, a possessive male, grumpy-sunshine, brother's best friend and a happy ending, you should really give this a try. 

The writing of Ana might be new to you, but trust me when I say her time jumps and her writing style are so well done it won't make the story a mess and it will give our couple more time to develope. Also always pay attention to the side characters, that might come in handy for the upcoming books *wink* 

If you finished this book, don't forget to check out Ana Huang's website because there's playlists and bonus scenes waiting for us readers and by God I love an author who writes bonus scenes and makes playlists! One more point to love her! 


For me this book was a wonderful start into a spicy, romance series full of laughs, heartbreak and reunions and I can't wait to read more of this! 

4⭐️ / 3.5 🌶

“If you wanted, I would burn down the world for you.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[book-review] C.N. Crawford - City of Thorns (Demon Queen Trials #1)

[bookreview] Jodie Ellen Malpas - This Woman (Jesses POV #1)

[book-review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - With This Woman (Jesse's POV #2)