[book-review] Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard


Why not think that sometimes—just sometimes—you can overcome evil with silence? And let people hear their hatefulness in their own ears, without distraction. Maybe goodness is enough to expose evil for what it really is, sometimes.

Today I want to talk about a book, that made me fall deeply in love with reading again. A book I read in a day. A book that's full of love, thoughts about life and one of the most wonderful love stories I have ever read.

Today I'm talking about "Gabriel's Inferno" by Sylvain Reynard.

I first read it in March 2020. I found it due to Twitter. A trailer on the movie was released by a wonderful site called Passionflix. I was immediately hooked and went to check out the book. I found it, ordered book 1 & 4 and started as soon as it arrived. Damn, what a good read! I had some time off on my second job by that time so I had the whole weekend to read. Managed in a day though. 

I’m going to be thrown out of Paradise tomorrow, Beatrice. Our only hope is that you find me afterward. Look for me in Hell.

 It starts with a student - Julia Mitchell - who's studying Dante at the University of Toronto. Her professor is Gabriel Emerson. He's arrogant, good looking and a ladies man. He shouts at her and is pretty rude and tells her she would be better off not studying Dante here and kicks her out. Shocked by this encounter in his office, she is heading home and gets picked up by exact same Professor in the pouring rain a bit later. He gets her home and she invites her in. He's rude once more and suddenly invites her to dinner which she accepts. (Yes I know!!) She's continuing her course and slowly we get to see her past and how she's known Gabriel. Although he can't remember her at all.

His sister arrives and - since Julia and Rachel are old friends from home - Rachel invites her over and things start to develop.
I don't want to spoil too much so let's continue...

She picks him up one night, drunk at a bar, and saves his ass when he's nearly sleeping with a student (which is strictly forbidden at their uni) and gets him home. He's kissing her and Julia get's him to bed where he seems to remember her for a moment when he woke up. They fall asleep in each other's arms and she couldn't be happier. But things change the next day. They have a rough fight and while she's leaving, she's revealing who she is to him and vanishes for a week, ignoring all way of contact of him. Things escalate at another reading of him when they have rough fight in front of the students. After that - and some talk in his office once more - things completely change and they start to become friends and get closer again. 

Well I don't want  to spoil anything so I'll stop now because you have to read this to fully love it. To get hooked completely! And I can tell you that things end quite lovely ;) 

When I am an old man and I can remember nothing else, I will remember this moment. The first time my eyes beheld an angel in the flesh.
There are many wonderful Dante  references (always loved Dante but Sylvain Reynard's book made me love it even more), wonderful quotes full of love, forgiveness, kindness and even an aspect on religion. But all in all it's the characters and their story that got me addicted to this wonderful series. It's not overly sexual but more romantic. 


Now, as I said this wonderful book was adapted by a private site called Passionflix. They do a wonderful job to make romance movies out of books and are very authentic. Gabriel's Inferno is separated in 3 parts with about 2h each. And the casting is stunning. The script is detailed to the book and the team is filming at the actual locations most of the time. Their budget is low but they do a wonderful, wonderful job and their subscription isn't too expensive :) So if you want to see lots of beautiful movies come to life, please check out their website. Because next up is the second book Gabriels Rapture.

Now back to the book. As I said I truly, truly loved it. Deeply. And I read it 4 more times since March 2020. And intent to continue so. The hunt for book 2 and 3 begann which wasn't easy during the first lockdown since everyone seemed to read it, but when I got them in my hands, I continued just as I started. Completely hooked by this wonderful, heartbreaking, love story. 

So if you're in for something romantic, beautiful, heartbreaking, pick up Gabriel's Inferno.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[book-review] C.N. Crawford - City of Thorns (Demon Queen Trials #1)

[bookreview] Jodie Ellen Malpas - This Woman (Jesses POV #1)

[book-review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - With This Woman (Jesse's POV #2)