[book-review] Adrienne Young - Namesake

 

After finishing Fable I was eager to get book two. Thankfully I ordered it when I started book one so it arrived earlier than expected and only about a week after I had finished the first book in the duology by Adrienne Young.

Because you and I have cursed ourselves, Fable. We will always have something to lose. I knew it that day in Tempest Snare when I kissed you. I knew it in Dern when I told you that I loved you.

Here's the official synopsis and then tell me that it doesn't sound good and you don't want to grab it and read it.

With the Marigold ship free of her father, Fable and the rest of the crew were set to start over. That freedom is short-lived when Fable becomes a pawn in a notorious thug’s scheme. In order to get to her intended destination, she must help him to secure a partnership with Holland, a powerful gem trader who is more than she seems.

As Fable descends deeper into a world of betrayal and deception, she learns that the secrets her mother took to her grave are now putting the people Fable cares about in danger. If Fable is going to save them, then she must risk everything—including the boy she loves and the home she has finally found.
 

It does sound awesome, doesn't it?

Well I immediately started and finished a few days later and it was perfect and cruel and everything I had hoped for as ending of the duology. We get more to see of some side-characters and more of Fable's past. And more information about her mother who's always with her somehow. More of West's dark past and Saint's schemes. 

The first time I’d seen his darkness and every time he’d seen mine. We were salt and sand and sea and storm.

And here's a (hopefully mostly spoiler free) short synopsis:

After getting kidnapped by Zola she finds herself confronted with a face from the past. A face she didn't ever expect to see again. Dragged off to the Nameless Sea and to Holland for a trade. A trade that Fable is not eager on since she will never make her way back if she agrees. So Fable is ready to do everything to get free and back to West. Who unexpectedly shows up at a big banquet at Hollands palace. Things went quite southways from there. Murder, deals, lies and West's and Fable's feelings are put to the test. Will their love survive the deal Fable has struck with Holland? Will they all come out of this unharmed and safe? Even Saint?
What Fable doesn't know is, that Saint is plotting his own game and Holland is way cleverer and evil than anyone expects. Ready to do everything to get revenge and one item that's important for her: The Midnight.

The plot was quite unexpected. Some reveals and deals. Every time I thought I'd figured out how the story will continue, there was a surprise I didn't expect. A surprise that made my heart jump or make me cry out loud. As in the first book, I mostly cried when West was confessing his feelings and darkest secrets to Fable. (Yes I do have a huge crush on him!) 
Once more Fable is - despite having West by her side now - a strong female lead character that surprises me every time. And one of the most surprising characters in this book was definitely Saint for me. 

All in all I loved every sentence. Loved drifting into the world of Fable, West, Saint, Holland, Zola... Loved the piraty-vibes. The fights, the confessions. The dark schemes. The funny moments and tender ones. 

I left you there because I have never loved anything in my life like I love you. Not Isolde. Not the trade. Nothing.

If you loved the firs book Fable, you'll definitely love the second book Namesake as well. It's completely perfect and a wonderful, well thought-through adventure with lovable and amazing, strong characters. 

Also, for everyone that get's to love Paj and Auster and want to know more about them and their story, there's a new book fresh on the market called The Last Legacy that deals with the story of the Roth's. 

Have you read Fable or Namesake yet? Any other books by Adrienne Young? Feel free to let me know in the comments or contact me on my bookstagram. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[book-review] C.N. Crawford - City of Thorns (Demon Queen Trials #1)

[book-review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - With This Woman (Jesse's POV #2)

[bookreview] Jodie Ellen Malpas - This Woman (Jesses POV #1)