[book-review] C.N. Crawford - City of Thorns (Demon Queen Trials #1)

I brought this book after I watched a video by Laura Thalassa who promoted it on her Instagram. I was immediately intrigued by the plot and had to get it. Then a few weeks ago, I did. I had started Song of Achilles and Empire of the Vampire by that time so I wanted to keep it for some other time but then - when I went to physiotherapy - I simply grabbed it, because it was so small and perfect for my purse. I started it while waiting for my appointment and fell in love immediately. 

Well, you have magic, and I have my own superpower. It’s called anxiety.

And here's the synopsis: 
I never thought I'd be singing happy birthday to myself in a dungeon. And yet when a sinfully sexy demon crashes happy hour, that's exactly what happens. He’s known as the Lord of Chaos, he’s mistaken me for my succubus doppelgänger. 
Happy birthday to me. 
When he tastes my blood, he finally understands I’m mortal. And I realize we have something in common: we both crave revenge. So we make a deal: I can stay in the forbidden city to hunt for my mom's killer. In return, I’ll help him get the vengeance he craves. I just have to pose as a sexy succubus. One problem--he's my number one suspect. And that’s increasingly hard to remember as he teaches me my role: seduction. With each heated touch I drift further into peril. And if I fall under his seductive spell, death awaits me.


Come on, don't tell my this isn't a cool synopsis? ;) 

The story starts with Rowan - a student at the university, about to finish her degree in psychology soon, and then she wants to go and study in the City of Thorns at Belial University. No mortal is allowed in there, except they study at the Uni. Otherwise Demons can leave the city and travel to another Demon city but the more they're outside a city, the more their powers fade. 
Shai - Rowan's best friend - studies there and updates her on everything that's going on when they met up for her birthday that night. After Jack - a very weird guy who's stalking Rowan and harasses her - made her day even worse.
They both talk, have a lot of fun when The Lord of Chaos - a very handsome demon - shows up at the restaurant. With this Rowan and Shai decide to leave and a moment later Rowan finds herself in some trouble and then confronted with said Demon who kidnaps her. 
She wakes up in a dungeon and desperately tries to tell him, that she's mortal and not her Succubus doppelgänger Mortana, he so loathes and wants to kill.

Orion - fanart from CN Crawford's website
After she confesses everything that night, afraid to die, he shows up again and she finally manages
to shed some doubt in his mind and after tasting her blood, he is convinced. Rowan is mortal. But then she strikes a deal with him to play Mortana because she wants to stay in the Demon City to find her mum's killer. Orion agrees and a sinful and flirty time begins in which he shows her how to behave like a succubus. It all went quite well but there is doubt between the Demons when she comes close to the king to find out his weakness. 
Meanwhile she convinces Orion to help her find her mom's killer. Things between them are going well and slowly both start to fall for each other. 
But then things escalate one night and everything changes for Orion and Rowan.

That's right demons. The succubus bitch is back.
The book was quite thin and things happend quickly but it was a good pace. We got to know a lot about the characters and about the Demon world which was very interesting. I loved their history Orion tells Rowan when exploring the city.

I loved Rowan although she was bit whiny at the beginning. But turned out she was way stronger than she thought. A brilliant mind and very clever.

Shai doesn't appear much in the story after the beginning, but immediately loved her as well. She's the clever friend every girl needs

Orion is just... I love him (yes I do have another book crush). He's strong, sexy, and every girl wants him. But there are also some dark secrets that bind him to Mortana we find out after a while. Secrets he can't tell anyone.

Are you healing me because you feel empathy, Orion? - I don't want blood on my floor. 

The ending was a bit unexpected, yet some things where quite obvious after a while and when you learned more about the Demon world. But still I really really liked the plot. The characters, the character development and the sexiness of the book. It was the right amount of spicy and funny and brilliant.

Also there's good news for all that have read it yet or want to read it. In January 2022 the second book will be released called Lord of Embers.
To be honest, after THAT ending, I can't wait to get book two. I really really need it like - right now! 

Thank you to C.N.Crawford for this brilliant book and two fabulous characters. 
Also check out her website here for more content about her other books and the new releases. 



All in all if you loved The Bargainer Series, From Blood And Ash or A Court of Thorns and Roses, this might be something for you. 
Please let me know in the comments what you think of it, if you've read it. Or if you're picking it up now. If you do so, enjoy! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[bookreview] Jodie Ellen Malpas - This Woman (Jesses POV #1)

[book-review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - With This Woman (Jesse's POV #2)