[book-review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - The Enigma (Unlawful Men Series #2)

The Enigma.

Another book by Jodie Ellen Malpas that absolutely made me fell in love with the main characters, the story and the music in it and book two in the Unlawful Men Series.

Never fight the bond.

Here's the official synopsis:

A fatal blend of revenge and desire.

After leaving her fiancé at the altar and quitting her job as a Miami cop, Beau Hayley stumbles through life, feeling only resentment. Injustice. Loss. Her mom’s death was called an accident. She’s not convinced. Grieving, she becomes numb to everything except the constant, biting pain of heartbreak and hate. She can see no light. Until she meets James Kelly, a man who seems as damaged as she is, inside and out. And yet despite his twisted, cold façade, he stimulates feelings. Pleasure. He is a respite from her own flaws. A complete mystery.

And impossible to resist.

James Kelly has only one objective. Find the men who murdered his family and kill them all very slowly. But the web of crime and deceit leads him to Beau Hayley, the daughter of the notorious detective who pursued him relentlessly until her death. Beau is not what James expected, and past the darkness that shrouds her, he finds a glimmer of light. Light is addictive. An escape. Beau might be the key to James’s mercy mission, but with dire consequences. So he has to decide—leave her breathing and risk exposing himself, or kill her and continue his mission, still unknown.

Still The Enigma

Two tortured souls playing one deadly game. But who will survive?

Darkness isn't what it's used to be. Not to Me. It's too much of a regular in my life now. Every day, dark. Every thought, dark. Every action, dark. It used to be scary. Unwelcome. Now, I am the dark.

Once more Jodie starts the book with a flashback a few years before the official story of the book. And once more this made me head to the wrong conclusions at the end of the book! *laugh*

And once again the book is written in two different perspectives: James' and Beaus.

I have to confess that - at the beginning - I was desperate for more chapters on James. Really really desperate but in the end, it turned out to be the right amount of chapters and storytelling from each POV. 

I did not cry this time. Not with this book. But I shouted, laughed and absolutely enjoyed it! Especially the end ;) For everyone who read it, you guys know what I'm talking about - right? 

I adored the characters, the story, the mystery in it and of course the "hot scenes" ;) 

It makes me curious. Because I can't figure out if you if you dislike me. Or want to fuck me. 

Their relationship is hard as well. It's just fucking - as Beau calls it regularly - at the beginning but  things develop. And the people in her life interfere. Thinking he's no good. Trying to get them separated but their bond is too strong. Also James continuously hands her small hints on who he is because deep down he wants her to know. But she's shoving everything away just to be with him and not think.

I absolutely loved Beau and James. Both strong and broken in their own ways. Filled with darkness, hate and the thought of revenge. But they turn out to be each other's addiction. Addiction for peace and light. And soon James realises that Beau might be the light he's waiting for. The light he needs and he'll do everything to protect her.

As usual I don't want to spoil everything so I'll stop now.

To my resurrection. You'll hold my fucking hand when I break the news to my wife.

The side-characters - especially Otto and Goldie - are brilliant! I loved every one of them in their own way and some dialogues just made me laugh. 

The plot was really brilliant! It usually is tbh but this was different. I can't say that I've enjoyed a book series like this this much in years. I loved the This Man Series - don't get me wrong (even though I had some starting problems with it) - but the Unlawful Men Series ist just.... *chefs kiss* 

Also, I'm once more in love with the cover... I mean look at it!! 

I loved The Brit (book 1 in the Unlawful Men Series) but this... The Enigma was something different. Brilliant plot! Brilliant ending and mystery and I can't wait for book 3 in  the series: The Resurrection because I'm convinced it'll be a fkn masterpiece!! 

The Resurrection will be out on January 25th, 2022 and you can already pre-order the ebook. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[book-review] C.N. Crawford - City of Thorns (Demon Queen Trials #1)

[book-review] Jodie Ellen Malpas - With This Woman (Jesse's POV #2)

[bookreview] Jodie Ellen Malpas - This Woman (Jesses POV #1)